The Light has a history: A Fábrica da Luz
A Fábrica da Luz is one of the oldest Hydroelectric power stations built in Galicia. Constructed at the turn of the century (c.1914-1916) “A canle vella” was originally used to convert energy from the Mao River’s flow into electricity in what was known as “The factory of light”. This technology made it a social and architectural landmark in the area.
In 2011, by the initiative of the Council of Parada de Sil we were able to recover this Industrial Heritage site and make it into a place of leisure and nature. These days the renovated plant serves as a host to many activities and attractions such as:
- Exhibition Hall
- Environmental Education
- Outdoor Activities
The renovation was carried out by Tempo Sacro, which has the mission to contribute to conservation and value of our cultural and Environmental Heritage.